My cousin is getting married in less than a week. I'm not one to get excited about things like that, then again I have a hard time getting upset at funerals too. A few years back I was a bridesmaid at a former best friends wedding. I was accompanied by my loving boyfriend at the time who was asked to be a part of the groomsmen. We walked down the aisle together. The whole night was something of a fairytale for me as we danced the night away. It was only when I looked around me and noticed that few people were left in the grand hall that I had realized the night was actually over. I guess you can say it was like my own wedding, even though my ex and I have long been over. It was almost too good of an experience, and therefore only my own wedding will one day surpass it. Although I can't be too hung up about it, the bride and the groom didn't last either, divorced after 3 years.
This particular wedding is a bit stressful for me because it's a family documented event of me looking fat. My Aunt has always been particularly strict on her family's diet and as a result has a skinny family. Ever since the wedding was announced a few months ago, comments such as losing weight for the wedding have occurred. No these comments weren't directed at me or my family, it was actually quite the opposite. My Aunt was referring to herself and her excitement for the wedding. They weren't even negative, but yet they lingered on my mind.
I think they haunt me because I didn't do anything about it. When my Aunt heard wedding she was motivated to lose weight, when I heard wedding I had no real reaction. I could have had a 3 month head start on losing weight and I'm only getting in the game now. I must admit the wedding has nothing to do with me wanting to lose weight, but it upsets me that things that should motivate me don't.
Dress Shopping...
Now comes the task of finding the best form fitting dress a size 14 has to offer. The first store I went to was Mandees. At size 12, I could buy my whole wardrobe within minutes. However, at size 14 I'm lucky if I find a shirt or two that look decent on me. Located right next door was Dots, a size 0-24 store. The quality of the clothes aren't as nice as Mandees, but I can actually find something that fits and looks decent on me.
While searching for a dress I noticed that designers do not understand how to design clothes for bigger women. A dress that looks good on a size 4 must be redesigned for a larger size. It's the little touches that count, yet designers fail over and over again to alleviate this problem.
Most of the dresses wore like a drape, hiding my extra baggage from others view. They didn't use eye catching lines to play off of my curves, just a sheet of material draped over my body. Instead of embracing my imperfections with a creative design, they sew together one end of a sheet to another making me look larger than my actual appearance. Do you really expect me to buy these bag dresses? The worst part is designers don't realize that when people put on weight, we grow everywhere. Instead they continue to make every dress size with what I can only assume is a B cup. These dresses make my boobs look awkward. As a larger girl, my proudest body part is the extra fat in my boobs, and I'm not going to let a bad cut ruin my awesome cleavage! I found that more dresses had a bad cut rather than a bag effect. It's a shame too because it means that they are trying, but still falling short. While I am not sure of my exact cup size, I think it's safe to say Size 14 should be equated with a size D.
Dots had nice shirts and pants, but I had to keep at the task at hand.
The next store I visited was T.J. Maxx. There was a major clearance that day and my mom and I went in different directions in the search for all things size 14. Since it's a destination wedding aka vacation, I might as well go swimming as well. The cart quickly filled up with possible dresses and bathing suits for the upcoming event.
... & Swimwear
My last bathing suit purchase was at 160lbs. I was leery looking for bathing suits since past browses led only to 2 piece items. At the time I would have picked up almost any 1 piece, but for some reason stores didn't seem to carry them. Since I don't have a pool at home and I wasn't planning on going on any day trips to the beach, a bathing suit hasn't been much of a priority for me either. I figure a family vacation is the perfect time to swim without the worries of Facebook photography getting in the way. Of course if I like a photo, I may just go ahead and post it.
T.J. Maxx had a small selection, most in size order, and I found some bathing suits worthy of trying on. When my cart was filled with every size 14 dress and bathing suit, I went to the changing room to begin the most difficult task of all. I started trying on dresses because I figured it would be a more rewarding experience for me. The dresses with the accurate size tag all looked decent on me. While I didn't love any of the dresses, all of the designs were nice. Since I was working with clearance prices, I ended up choosing two $20 summery dresses.
Next I had to try on one-piece bathing suits. The very first one I tried on had a boy short type bottom and just looked extremely awkward. I didn't let that get me down and the very next 2 bathing suits were absolutely gorgeous on me. The flowery one had a bit of scrunch material that I prefer my shirts to have as well. It creates a sleek look while looking very fashionable. The second bathing suit was solid aqua with a single white line breaking up the top and skirt bottom. This bathing suit made me feel even thinner and sexier. When I had originally picked it up, I wasn't expecting something without camoflouge to look as good as it did on me. My stomache even appeared flat! Sometimes an open mind can lead to great possibilities.
I wish I can attach pictures of the bathing suits because they are absolutely gorgeous, however T.J. Maxx doesn't have an online store. It's really frustrating because I find a lot of major retailers don't cater to the online browsers and shoppers of the world including stores like Joyce Leslie. As a result, I end up shopping at these stores close to rarely because I am unaware of what's in stock.
As for these bathing suits, both are from the brand Mainstream Swimwear. I couldn't find a link to the brand, but I did find an online retailer that sells the brand. Although none of the bathing suits shown are the ones I purchased, many have a slim fitting appeal.
I can't seem to find a site for Mainstream Swimwear or the exact bathing suit I purchased. However, I did find a site that sells Mainstream. Mainstream's targets sizes include 8-18, so you can trust the design is made with a larger model in mind.
Shopping can be fun and now I'm looking forward to my vacation too.
I think they haunt me because I didn't do anything about it. When my Aunt heard wedding she was motivated to lose weight, when I heard wedding I had no real reaction. I could have had a 3 month head start on losing weight and I'm only getting in the game now. I must admit the wedding has nothing to do with me wanting to lose weight, but it upsets me that things that should motivate me don't.
Dress Shopping...
Now comes the task of finding the best form fitting dress a size 14 has to offer. The first store I went to was Mandees. At size 12, I could buy my whole wardrobe within minutes. However, at size 14 I'm lucky if I find a shirt or two that look decent on me. Located right next door was Dots, a size 0-24 store. The quality of the clothes aren't as nice as Mandees, but I can actually find something that fits and looks decent on me.
While searching for a dress I noticed that designers do not understand how to design clothes for bigger women. A dress that looks good on a size 4 must be redesigned for a larger size. It's the little touches that count, yet designers fail over and over again to alleviate this problem.
Most of the dresses wore like a drape, hiding my extra baggage from others view. They didn't use eye catching lines to play off of my curves, just a sheet of material draped over my body. Instead of embracing my imperfections with a creative design, they sew together one end of a sheet to another making me look larger than my actual appearance. Do you really expect me to buy these bag dresses? The worst part is designers don't realize that when people put on weight, we grow everywhere. Instead they continue to make every dress size with what I can only assume is a B cup. These dresses make my boobs look awkward. As a larger girl, my proudest body part is the extra fat in my boobs, and I'm not going to let a bad cut ruin my awesome cleavage! I found that more dresses had a bad cut rather than a bag effect. It's a shame too because it means that they are trying, but still falling short. While I am not sure of my exact cup size, I think it's safe to say Size 14 should be equated with a size D.
Dots had nice shirts and pants, but I had to keep at the task at hand.
... & Swimwear
My last bathing suit purchase was at 160lbs. I was leery looking for bathing suits since past browses led only to 2 piece items. At the time I would have picked up almost any 1 piece, but for some reason stores didn't seem to carry them. Since I don't have a pool at home and I wasn't planning on going on any day trips to the beach, a bathing suit hasn't been much of a priority for me either. I figure a family vacation is the perfect time to swim without the worries of Facebook photography getting in the way. Of course if I like a photo, I may just go ahead and post it.
T.J. Maxx had a small selection, most in size order, and I found some bathing suits worthy of trying on. When my cart was filled with every size 14 dress and bathing suit, I went to the changing room to begin the most difficult task of all. I started trying on dresses because I figured it would be a more rewarding experience for me. The dresses with the accurate size tag all looked decent on me. While I didn't love any of the dresses, all of the designs were nice. Since I was working with clearance prices, I ended up choosing two $20 summery dresses.
Next I had to try on one-piece bathing suits. The very first one I tried on had a boy short type bottom and just looked extremely awkward. I didn't let that get me down and the very next 2 bathing suits were absolutely gorgeous on me. The flowery one had a bit of scrunch material that I prefer my shirts to have as well. It creates a sleek look while looking very fashionable. The second bathing suit was solid aqua with a single white line breaking up the top and skirt bottom. This bathing suit made me feel even thinner and sexier. When I had originally picked it up, I wasn't expecting something without camoflouge to look as good as it did on me. My stomache even appeared flat! Sometimes an open mind can lead to great possibilities.
I wish I can attach pictures of the bathing suits because they are absolutely gorgeous, however T.J. Maxx doesn't have an online store. It's really frustrating because I find a lot of major retailers don't cater to the online browsers and shoppers of the world including stores like Joyce Leslie. As a result, I end up shopping at these stores close to rarely because I am unaware of what's in stock.
I can't seem to find a site for Mainstream Swimwear or the exact bathing suit I purchased. However, I did find a site that sells Mainstream. Mainstream's targets sizes include 8-18, so you can trust the design is made with a larger model in mind.
Shopping can be fun and now I'm looking forward to my vacation too.
No comments:
Post a Comment